- June 22, 2006 - Two years ago (May 12, 2004) I mentioned that Matt and Trey were going to work on a religious musical with Avenue Q comedic composers Jeff Marx and Robert Lopez. Back then, they wouldn't name the religion, but it was a safe bet to say Mormonism. Yesterday, there came proof that Mormonism is indeed the religion the musical will address. South Park duo taking Mormons to Broadway (from Stuff Magazine, among a flurry of other sources) mentions the religion by name. Other things to note are that Lopez isn't involved now, that only four songs have been made so far (though they have loads more ideas), and that the musical doesn't have a name yet. Another bit of news, from Comedy Central Press: the press release pictures from the episodes have been replaced by pictures of the characters. :( And now, one last look at Isaac Hayes leaving South Park.
- June 26, 2006 - South Park References In Other Shows And Movies has been updated with Drawn Together's admiration. In February, Drawn Together aired "A Tale of Two Cows" (one was a live cow, the other... you can guess.). In the ep, the group visits several other cartoons in pursuit of the cow, which is destroying the cartoons beforehand. One of the cartoons they visit is South Park, which of course is destroyed. Spanky likes South Park, as he declares that more people would watch Drawn Together if the group lived in South Park.
- July 2, 2006 - Let's see if Comedy Central's balls have grown any bigger: "Trapped in the Closet" is scheduled to air on July 19 now.
If you have a PSP, you can now buy Cannibal! The Musical at the Troma Studio Store. :) Thanks to John Pannozzi for the info.
- July 5, 2006 - Vinal Kumar sent me this little toon from User Friendly this morning. (Mar 09, 1998) :) Enjoy. Click on the pic to see the original size.
WHOA that's old! :D
- July 6, 2006 - For years I had info on SP:BLU spread out over three pages. Today I combined those three pages into one megapage and added a few more comic strip references to the ones already in SP In Other Media.
Emmy Award Nominee (2006)
OUTSTANDING ANIMATED PROGRAM|
(FOR PROGRAMMING ONE HOUR OR LESS)
South Park • Trapped in the Closet • Comedy Central • Central Productions
Trey Parker, Executive Producer/Director/Written by
Matt Stone, Executive Producer
Anne Garefino, Executive Producer
Frank C. Agnone II, Producer
Eric Stough, Director of Animation
- July 13, 2006 - Oh, there are a LOT of articles about the Television Critics Association press tour yesterday, so I'll list the articles here and present a separate page combining all the articles later in the day. Here they are! Zap2It, TV&Radio, Yahoo!, The Washington Post, Jam!, NJ, EURweb, Chron, Post-Gazette, and USA Today. And now, MnT at TCA.
- July 20, 2006 - Comedy Central has a new press release about South Park that covers the fall season pretty well. Read - HOLY SHIT(162) - SOUTH PARK TURNS 10!. Highlights:
Now that "Trapped In The Closet" has returned to the air, the other banned episode from last season will return, in two weeks.
- Travel Sweepstakes - Comedy Central is flying ten lucky fans to one of Cartman, Stan, Kyle and Kenny's favorite global destinations for ten days. Winners can select from one of ten memorable destinations including: Hong Kong, Costa Rica, Italy, Scotland, Colorado, New York, Washington D.C., California, Las Vegas and Canada. And, to top it all off, the winners will receive a total of $10,000 in cash. To enter, fans can visit comedycentral.com. ($10,000 total? That's $1000 per winner.)
- Collector's DVD - "South Park The Hits: Volume 1" arrives on Tuesday, October 3. The DVD features ten episodes chosen by Stone and Parker as their "top ten" to date. The DVD also features four bonus episodes and audio commentary by Stone and Parker. (There are more volumes coming? More ways for CC to get your money, heh)
- Mobile phone stuff - This fall, a new wireless game featuring the "South Park" characters will be available on mobile phones, as well as new ringtones, ringbacks and wallpaper. Fans also can download excerpts of scenes from their favorite episodes.
- Licensed merchandise - CC will introduce all new licensed merchandise and apparel. New collectible figures from Mezco will include the following characters: Kyle, Stan, Mr. Garrison, Mr. Hanky, Tooth Fairy, Cartman and Token. In addition, all new Halloween costumes and holiday ornaments will be offered later this year. Fans of the series will also find collectible plush toys from Toy Island.
- August 4, 2006 - Three days ago, Daily Variety printed the ad below, which congratulates Matt and Trey on their Emmy nomination for "Trapped In The Closet." As it turns out, Mel Gibson was driving drunk and was arrested for it. During the arrest he spewed a lot of anti-Semitic statements which he's had to apologize for since. Some people think the ad was made to make fun of Gibson, but that's not the case. The ad was made a few weeks before this happened.
- If you don't get the ad, here's the background for it. For years it's been said that the Jews run Hollywood (a lot of stars and Hollywood executives are and were indeed Jewish), but for a few decades now, the Scientologists have been buying up Hollywood properties and converting a lot of Hollywood stars to their, um, religion. The ad challenges the Jews to take Hollywood back from the Scientologists.
- August 6, 2006 - Words of the day: North Park, Middle Park, and South Park. These are the three valleys, or parks, that have been mentioned as towns on South Park. North Park is in Jackson County, Middle Park is in Grand County, and South Park is in Park County. Fairplay is the county seat of Park County, and it has an outdoor museum called South Park. Two items for you today: Cannibal!'s 10 year anniversay 2-DVD set with a new Colorado Commentary from crew members Ian Keldin, Alex Keldin, Jon Hegel, Toddy Walters, Robert Muratore, and Elki Neiberger; and South Park: The Hits, Volume I, which will be quoted in full below. The hits will be worth getting if Matt and Trey recorded new commentaries for them, especially for the season 8 and 9 eps included in the volume.
You get the "Spirit of Christmas" that launched the show, but not the one they made in college three years before.
COMEDY CENTRAL® HOME ENTERTAINMENT CELEBRATES 10 YEARS OF "SOUTH PARK" WITH THE DVD RELEASE OF "SOUTH PARK THE HITS: VOLUME 1" (OCTOBER 3) FEATURING TREY PARKER AND MATT STONE'S 10 FAVORITE EPISODES AND, FOR THE FIRST TIME-EVER, "THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS" ANIMATED SHORT
Includes Emmy Award-Winning "Best Friends Forever," Emmy-Nominated "Trapped In The Closet,"Four Bonus Episodes And New Audio Commentary From Parker And Stone
- NEW YORK, August 3, 2006—"People always ask us, 'What's your favorite episode?' And I say, 'It's so hard. It's like choosing between your children.' But then I would have no problem choosing between my children. It would be the tall, smart one," say Matt Stone and Trey Parker. "South Park The Hits: Volume 1" DVD arrives in stores nationwide on Tuesday, October 3, released via COMEDY CENTRAL Home Entertainment and will also be available at http://shop.comedycentral.com. "South Park," now in its 10th season, will feature seven all–new episodes beginning on October 4 at 10:00 p.m., coinciding with COMEDY CENTRAL's celebration of the series' 10th season.
- For the first time ever, the infamous animated short "The Spirit of Christmas" will be available. "The Spirit of Christmas" was created as a video Christmas card commissioned by current MTV executive Brian Graden to send to friends and colleagues and centered on four foul–mouthed third graders forced to intervene in a fight between Santa and Jesus.
- In a perfect storm of events, the video arrived on the scene just as the Internet was becoming ubiquitous in homes across the country and it was soon burning up the information highway as fans passed it along to their friends and colleagues, turning the short into the first, and arguably most successful, viral video in the history of the medium. "South Park," which launched on August 13, 1997, remains to this day COMEDY CENTRAL's highest-rated and most-viewed series.
- "South Park The Hits: Volume 1" DVD also features 10 episodes (with new audio commentary) chosen by Parker and Stone as their favorite "top ten" to date. The DVD also includes four fan favorite bonus episodes: "Fatt Butt & Pancake Head" (a.k.a. J. Lo and Ben Affleck), "It Hits the Fan," "Timmy 2000" and "The Death Camp of Intolerance" (the introduction of Lemmiwinks).
- The following episodes appear on "South Park The Hits: Volume 1" DVD with audio commentary from Parker and Stone:
- "Awesom–O" — Stone: "This episode has one of my favorite scenes of any 'South Park' ever...which is when Cartman gets off the plane. He gets to Los Angeles and he has to eat the toothpaste 'cause he's so fucking hungry. That just totally makes sense that you'd be that hungry where you'd just eat toothpaste."
- "Best Friends Forever" — Parker: "We went out to the animation staff and we're like, 'Okay, good news. We've come up with a show idea for this week. It's going to be a final battle between heaven and hell.' And they were just like, 'Oh, shit.'"
- "Casa Bonita" — Stone: "This episode perfectly explains Cartman's character. It's not really about the experience, he doesn't want friends there." Parker: "Yeah. He would rather be the only person on the planet." Stone: "To me, that perfectly encapsulates what's wrong with Cartman....he sucks so bad."
- "Good Times with Weapons" — Parker: "The thing I'm most proud of in this episode is the song. I think we hit the song perfectly. I think we got the anime pretty good, but that song..."
- "Red Hot Catholic Love" — Parker: "For some reason we thought the imagery of someone crapping out their mouth would work ultimately in a show. And then luckily a bunch of priests got caught molesting kids. And we're like, 'Bingo.'"
- "The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers" — Parker: "This episode is just a perfect example, to us, about how much fun the show can be when it's just kids being kids."
- "Scott Tenorman Must Die" — Parker: "This is a very important episode in the 'South Park' library because it did definitely change Cartman. I mean, it took from kind of a little shit head to probably the most evil kid in the world."
- "Spoiled Whore Video Playset" — Stone: "Most of the time when people ask us about, you know, ripping on celebrities and featuring celebrities in the show, I always say, 'Well, you know, it's not personal. It's just ripping on the idea of celebrity itself. You know, it's just kind of this absurdist thing that we do.' But then you look at this episode and it really isn't that. We have to stop little girls from looking up to Paris Hilton."
- "Towelie" — Parker: "We rented a houseboat on Lake Mead with a bunch of our friends who are also writers on 'South Park' and we were getting into a boat, and everyone was like, 'Yeah, did you bring a towel? Everyone bring a towel? You – you got a towel?' And then people just started going, 'Don't forget to bring a towel.' And that, for some reason that caught on and then it became, 'Towelie says, don't forget to bring a towel.' And then that became 'Towelie.'"
- "Trapped in the Closet" — Parker: "We're pretty sure it's going be one of our most infamous ever, I think, just because of all the hubbub it caused. I don't think we've ever had a single episode that has stirred up this much unwanted and wanted attention."
- August 17, 2006 - This weekend, Comedy Central will present a South Park marathon! Presenting... South Park Mean Boys:
Friday 9:00 P.M. - Scott Tenorman Must Die (0501)
Do I have any Norwegian-speaking readers here? There are three South Park articles here I'd like translated. If you can, send me your translations. The articles are: Gir oss ikke før vi blir drept, Alt kan spøkes med and South Parks fedre i Bergen.
Friday 9:30 P.M. - Preschool (0810)
Friday 10:00 P.M. - Marjorine (0909)
Friday 10:30 P.M. - Here Comes the Neighborhood (0512)
Friday 11:00 P.M. - Cow Days (0213)
Friday 11:30 P.M. - My Future Self n' Me (0616)
Friday midnight - Good Times with Weapons (0801)
Friday 12:30 A.M. - Spontaneous Combustion (0302)
Saturday 10:00 P.M. - Kenny Dies (0513)
Saturday 10:30 P.M. - The Brown Noise (0317)
Saturday 11:00 P.M. - Up the Down Steroid (0803)
Saturday 11:30 P.M. - Freak Strike (0601)
Saturday midnight - The Death of Eric Cartman (0906)
Saturday 12:30 A.M. - Starvin' Marvin (0109)
- August 19, 2006 - Cannibal Lover (CL) found an article from CRACKED Magazine and posted about it on CrapTV. CRACKED has relaunched itself as a general humor magazine, and for this occasion, it has an interview with Matt and Trey. Enjoy these pages: Cover 1 2 3 (The cover and pages 1 and 2 are from CRACKED and the third page is from CL). Thanks, CL. :)
- August 24, 2006 - We South Park fans may be sad that South Park didn't win the Emmy for Best Half-Hour Animated Series, but Matt and Trey didn't think it would even get nominated! From Welcome to the Emmy 'mess':
- But to hear "South Park" masterminds Matt Stone and Trey Parker tell it, they didn't think much of the episode.
- "It's not really in the top five of shows that I think we did last year," Parker told CNN prior to the Creative Arts show.
- "I was surprised it got nominated because we just submitted it to be jerks," said Stone.
- August 27, 2006 - Remember to get the Season 8 DVD set next Tuesday! Here's the cover:
- August 27, 2006 - Here's what Matt and Trey have been up to in Edinburgh, Scotland. :) Someone uploaded the intro to the Emmys two days ago on YouTube, so here's part I, which includes the South Park segment in which Conan shows up at Stan's house. And here's the dialog for that segment:
[Stan's door opens and Conan O'Brien stumbles in, out of breath]
- Conan: What the-? [pats himself all over] Oh my God! What happened to me?! [Stan approaches]
- Stan: Dude! Get out of my room!
- Conan: AAAH! [runs into Stan's closet and closes the door, thinking he's left the room]
- Stan: Hey. Hey, that's my closet!
- Conan: Leave me alone! [Stan turns around and goes to the hallway]
- Stan: Daaad! Conan O'Brien won't come out of the closet!
- Randy: [comes up the stairs] What?? [enters Stan's room and walks to the clsoet. He knocks four times, and with a firm voice says] Mr. O'Brien, you need to come out of the clsoet.
- Conan: [comes out] Ah! There's someone else in there! [runs out of the room and down the stairs. Tom Cruise peers out, then closes the door. Randy knocks three times and grabs the doorknob]
- Randy: Cruise? [jerks the doorknob around trying to open the door]
[End of segment]
- September 18, 2006 - South Park refugees discusses how some South Park Republicans have defected in response to the increasing ties of the Bush Administration to the Religious Right. Cruise at "South Park" Party? That'll kill Kenny! covers the 10th anniversary party the show will have this Thursday. Following that report is "South Park 10" starting tonight - Matt and Trey's 10 favorites leading up to the release of the video on October 3 and the second half of Season 10 on October 4.
- Ever wanted to go to South Park? Leave your cares behind? Of course you have.
- Guests at next week's "South Park" 10th Season Anniversary Bash will certainly feel like they've entered the animated universe of those eternally potty-mouthed prepubscents, Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and Kenny.
- The party, which takes place Sept 21 at The Lot in Hollywood, will have a long white carpet. And the equally long photo back drop– called a “step and repeat” - along the simulated snow-stroll will feature 6-ft high images of past celebrity guest cartoons such as Steven Spielberg, Jennifer Lopez, George Lucas, P Diddy and yes, probably even Tom Cruise, still trapped in the closet.
- “It literally feels like you’re walking into South Park,” marveled a Comedy Central rep, who vowed to steal the backdrop for her office after the party.
- Live guests will include Drew Carey, Laura Silverman, The Roots, Seth Green, Primus, Paul Rudd, David Spade, Amanda Peet, Bob Saget, Paul Reubens, John Hensley, Tom Lennon and Damon Wayans.
- And of course, the men of the hour will be SP’s wickedly clever co-creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker. Oh, their new favorite musical group, Live Six, will be performing.
- No word on whether George Clooney (aka Sparky the Gay Dog) will attend. He’s reportedly reeeeally busy filming “Ocean’s Thirteen” but he has been known to make surprise appearances.
- Fingers tightly crossed for George's attendance (Stan Rosenfield, are you reading this?) but I’m on my knees praying that Courtney Love and/or Andy Dick will show up. Love was so trashed at last year’s Comedy Central Roast of Pamela Anderson that she lifted up her top and bared her flaccid white belly to the horrified audience.
- Oh, before I forget, the new season - in case you want to set your Tivo - starts Oct 4. I hope to have more tidbits about upcoming plots and guest stars after next week's party. Don't tell anyone but I'm bringing an eight ball and a bottle of vodka for Matt and Trey.
Special Event: "South Park 10," airing this week at 10 p.m. on Comedy Central.
- If you've watched and grown with Kenny, Eric and Sergeant Yates over the years, you're in for a real treat this week. Creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone are airing their favorite episodes at 10 p.m. over the next 10 days - all in honor of the show's 10-year anniversary. Can you believe it's been that long?
- September 19, 2006 - I hear that college classes are using this site as part of their coursework, which flatters me greatly. If you please, make a donation in appreciation for all the hard work that goes into making this site. Thanks muchly. :)