- June 21-23, 2002 - US South Park Convention II, at Fairplay.
- June 21, 2002. - Summer arrives! Woohoo! Also, the transcript for the Most Notorious Episode is here, complete with Matt and Trey commentary! As I melded the two original transcripts together, I noticed that some of the lines were redone. Just something to look out for, no biggie.
- June 22, 2002, 3a. - Butters (Charles Song) reports on DTISFU's Matt and Trey board that new SP DVDs will come in November (There's one more themed DVD scheduled for September). He could only mean the season (or series) DVDs (no doubt box sets) that people outside the U.S. already get. With VHS tapes being phased out now that DVD sales are strong, will VHS box sets be released as well?
- June 23, 2002 - I've heard that there are at least two threads protesting my ban from GTG. I figure I'd give you some background on that...
- On May 10, 2001 Matt & Trey held a chat with South Park Studios, and Catpoo was dedicated enough to get screen grabs for all the questions. He then transcribed the grabs and posted the transcript on GTG. I promptly copied the transcript and posted it here without his permission (but then, I don't recall him asking SPS for their permission to post it or to dictate the manner of its distribution, either, but no matter). When he bitched about it and banned me I took it down and put a link up to the GTG thread. Then I was let back in. Months went by and eventually the transcript disappeared from GTG, and that's when I decided to put it up again (no, I didn't ask for his permission. Live with it), this time with corrections from the official transcript. Hell, I could have put up the official transcript up in html and Catpoo would have banned me for it. :D I put the link up in the Creators' page. Needless to say, Catpoo found it and banned me again. :) Now, the first time, I apologized. This time, I wear the ban as a badge of honor. Youse can go debate that on GTG - I won't know anything about it, at least not first-hand.
- Thanks for the support, those of you who protest for me. :)
- June 27, 2002 - Last day of the South Park Digest tomorrow. You. can read all the Digests from as far back as January 1998 here. A forum will replace the Digest on July 1 or 2 at Comedy Central's site. SPS today mentions the Ass-faced Kenny on sale (check the May 23 update - they've been out for a month elsewhere). The Thompsons, the ass-faced couple, has been on sale there since last week. Check out the novelty stores.
- June 26, 2002 - second part of season 6 begins with "Simpsons Already Did It."
- June 28, 2002 - last day of the South Park Digest. You. can read all the Digests from as far back as January 1998 here. A forum will replace the Digest on July 1 or 2. SPS notes that the Thompsons are now on sale at the South Park store. Get your ass-faced Kenny there, too. Also, the first season will be rereleased on Novermber 12, this time with director's commentary from Matt and Trey. You might also be interested in these two babydoll shirts: South Park Stay Away From My Man and South Park Timmy. And even MORE South Park Stuff!!! A Butters doll is coming soon. Details as they come.
- July 2, 2002 - SPS has an interesting link to Ananova, for you Brits who are interested in summaries for the video releases for series 5, episodes 6 through 14. But they still get Mr. Hat's name WRONG! Also, Butters posted in Behind The Scenes that at least one actor from That's My Bush is parlaying his role there into a film role: Timothy Bottoms will play President George Bush once again in Steve Irwin's new film The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course. The trailer to this film has been out for a few weeks now. I suppose this is all that remains of that wonderful movie, George Bush and the Secret of the Glass Tiger, the TMB movie that was said to be in the works late last summer. Anywho, DTISFU has a link to some IMAX films in the works. Now, Matt and Trey have done Jesus Vs. Frosty and Jesus vs. Santa, but not Santa vs. Frosty. So, Steve Oedekerk will do the honor in... SANTA VS. THE SNOWMAN!.
- July 3, 2002 - The SP Digest board. Comedy Central came through with the board, but it's no substitute for the Digest.
- July 5, 2002 - New Matt and Trey site by Zuzu and GirlyGirl. Niiice.
- July 7, 2002 - The Many Deaths of Kenny - Big Jim W at South Park USA has compiled many of Kenny's deaths into a seven-minutes video. Go to his site to stream it or download it. Nicely done!
- July 8, 2002 - An update on Scandal in the Catholic Church. It has a review of the episode and the issues it addressed last week. Script, secrets, guests up, pics later. Now to other news. SPS announces the Fifth Anniversary Special. The Anniversary Special will consist of three episodes from the series uninterrupted for the first time ever on television, and have commentary by Danny DeVito, Hugh Hefner, Chris Klein, Jay Leno, and others. Read more on the special there. Also, Breayle has made a QuickTime video of the Great Destinations intro to the Most Notorious Episode available for download.
- July 16, 2002 - Matt and Trey's Zuzu has posted the second of Matt and Trey's segments for the Most Notorious Episode. Zuzu has lots of room for this stuff on her site (I can only hold up to 50 MB), and bre wants to get the video out the fastest way possible.
- July 18, 2002 - Alternate SPS link if the main one isn't wokring: http://images.southparkstudios.com. Found at Comedy Cemtral Press - "South Park" - new episodes (begins November 6) (check out the menu on the left side - of that site, not this one :) - and scroll down). But the page the link goes to doesn't say anything about new eps in November. Not yet, anyway. The SPS FAQ (March 21) says that 15-17 episodes will air. We had six in the spring, five this summer. Maybe five in the fall? Anywho, on to some Emmy news:
Posted by: butters @ SPS on 07-18-2002 12:45 (9:45 am PDT)
Award date: It airs Sunday, September 15 at 7:00 p.m. on E!
Yep, we just got nominated for the third time (in five years, what where they smokin' the other two?) for "Osama bin Laden has Farty Pants."
We're up against "As told by Ginger" "Futurama" "King of the Hill" and, of course, "The Simpsons"
Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming Less Than One Hour)
- As Told By Ginger Lunatic Lake NICK A Klasky Csupo production in association with Nickelodeon
- Futurama Roswell That Ends Well FOX The Curiosity Company in association with 20th Century Fox
- King Of The Hill Bobby Goes Nuts FOX 20th Century Fox Television in association with 3 Arts
- The Simpsons She Of Little Faith FOX Gracie Films in association with 20th Century Fox Television
- South Park Osama Bin Laden Has Farty Pants COM Comedy Central
- July 23, 2002 - Orgazmo is now listed at Amazon for pre-order. It comes out in about two months. Props to Beeb, since I checked email first, and he had sent me a message about this. Help him out by ordering through his shop, near the middle of the page.
- July 25, 2002 - Yesterday's episode marks the 90th first-run episode of South Park to air. Since the contract calls for 100 episodes, there are ten more episodes left before we have to say goodbye to the show. All ten may air starting November 6 (21 episodes total for season 6), or five may air starting November 6, and five more next year for a short 7th season. Matt and Trey may announce more episodes to come after the 100th, or they may just leave the show while Comedy Central continues with a writing staff, current or otherwise. The fate of the show is not known yet.
- July 26, 2002 - The following story may not have anything to do with South Park, but ...Boy's Penis Stitched Back After Donkey Bite. Ya think maybe Cartman has it in for someone else? :D
- July 27, 2002 - Child Tracker is real! But it uses a cell phone instead of a cumbersome helmet. Of course, you can leave the cell phone behind and not be tracked, have your friend carry your phone, etc. But if you're a parent and want to keep track of your child without calling him or her, check that site out.
- July 29, 2002 - If you're interested in bringing Kenny back and ending the fourth-boy shuffle on the show, tell Matt and Trey to reconsider removing Kenny McCormick from South Park. All you Kenny fans on the BBS should be up for this. Found on the SPS BBS:
Posted by: Jules31 @ SPS BBS @ 07-29-2002 11:28
And Zuzu at Matt and Trey has this quote from the article:
In the new TV Guide they count down the 50 best cartoon characters and Cartman is number 10! Yeah! Go, Cartman! There's also some quotes from Matt and Trey in the article.
10. Eric Cartman
Vote for YOUR favorite here.
- The vulgarity and irreverence of "South Park" (Comedy Central, Wednesdays, 10PM/ET) is all rolled up in Cartman, the show's big-boned pottymouth and breakout star. You either gasp at his scathing indictments of American life or you gasp because you can't catch your breath for laughin. Or both. Trey Parker, who voices Cartman, created "South Park" with Matt Stone (who once described the crude cartoon as "'Peanuts' on acid"). "I like that people can think Cartman's really cute and childlike, and then he does things that are really dark," Parker says. "People are always talking about how fragile children are, and they're sort of forgetting what little bastards they can be."
- August 1, 2002 - The show may be on hiatus until November, but this site'll stay current when there's something to report. Enjoy the down time from midsummer to midfall. :) Pre-order Roundup:
- Amazon | CD Now - Orgazmo
- Amazon | CD NOW - South Park Season 1, coming November 12 (found at the SPS BBS)
You can use coupons found at divadome.com to save even more on these pre-orders. Check out the Spiderman gif at upper left.
- August 4, 2002 - *** Happy First Birthday, #SPSChat!*** It was on this day last year that Zuzu registered the channel as a fan channel. On October 30 breayle made the channel the official South Park Studios chatroom, so if you missed this day, come back on October 30 for its official birthday. Hop on DALnet and enter #spschat, or use the Java client at South Park Studios' fan section to chat with the regulars there. It's a good thing the channel was first founded on Friendship Day. :)
- August 5, 2002 - Kenny may return, if only once more
- SPX member Bill Gates says he has inside info that lower ratings this time around, fan pressure to bring Kenny back, and more SP merchandise for season 7 has CC wanting to make more Kenny merchandise, which means they may want one more ep with Kenny in it from Matt and Trey. Matt and Trey weren't happy with this, as they had meant Kenny to stay dead...
- We'll see if this Gates is right soon enough.
- South Park Studio - 150 new items!!! Kewl!!! New items in every section (escept heads - still need a Cartman-type head, body, and clothes)!!! The possibilities are that much closer to being endless!!! And on a sad note, RIP Chick Hearn, Voice of the Los Angeles Lakers, died at 6:30 p.m. PDT at the age of 85.
- August 6, 2002 - Kenny's doing far better being a dead character than coming back to life. :) From FlyNome, a database of (mutant) genes found in flies.
|Story:||kenny homozygous adults, when infected by Gram negative bacteria, die within two days. Thus their name, after the South Park cartoon character, who dies before the end of each episode. Synonymous : Red Shirt
|Literature reference:||Rutschmann et al. (2000) Nature Immunology 1(4):342-7 and Elrod-Erickson et al. (2000) Curr. Biol. 10(13):781-4
This person named this mutant.
Oh, "Red Shirt" refers to the anonymous red-shirted Starship Enterprise officer who is always the first to die when a landing party from the ship explores a (hostile) planet in the original Star Trek series.
- August 7, 2002 - Found at Target: South Park prints (Stan, Kyle, Cartman, Kenny, Tweek, and Towelie on navy-blue background) on men's lounge pants ($19.99) and camp shirts ($14.99). Buy the pants, you get a free Towelie keychain (attached to the pants). I got the pants. :)
- August 8, 3:30 p.m. - From SPS: DVD Toons releases info on features to be included in the boxed DVD release of South Park: Complete First Season. M&T female fans, Girlfriends says Matt and Trey are people they'd love to party with (more so if Big Gay Al comes along). Mattt Potter at the Orgazmo Forum says that CrapTV will reopen later this month, and the Orgazmo DVD site will most likely open in September - check out Trey and the soccer ball :).
- August 12, 2002 - Mad Blast, an Internet toons site, has an interview with Antonio Banderas about Spy Kids 2. In the interview Banderas discusses parodies made of him elsewhere, and here's what he has to say on Matt and Trey's parody of him in South Park:
...he was a big fan of the South Park [episode - "Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery"] where Cartman carried around his moms life-size anatomically correct Antonio Banderas sex doll.
I loved that because I love Trey Parker. I love his movies, all those Troma productions, Cannibal: The Musical is one of my favorites and Orgazmo is fantastic. If these guys call me one day I might do a movie with them. I am totally serious. I really like to jump on that side of our profession because I started like that. Thats Almodovar in the beginning.
- August 13, 2002 - Happy 5th Anniversary, South Park! And now, some bad news for us chatters: seems the US DALnet servers are either down or gone, and the European ones are overloaded. It's well nigh impossible to connect, so maybe Zuzu and breayle should move the chatroom to another network, like Zuzu's old haunt. For those of you who are REALLY into South Park trivia, both DTISFU! and MNT.com list articles that have one quote (only MattNTrey has this one), one character, and one paraphrase from the show to demonstrate how it has become a source of cultural references. For a week or so, the chat moves to irc.webchat.org.
- August 14, 2002 - Breayle's comments on Bill Gates' post (see August 5 entry): Ratings haven't dropped (indeed, they're higher since Kenny passed on), and Matt and Trey haven't been talking about the show for about a month now. Still, Kenny may return - we'll have to wait and see.
- August 20, 2002 - South Park Studios has info on another special coming up - "Precious Moments: Five Years Of South Park Memories", a three-hour marathon on August 31 starting at 9 p.m. Go there and read up on it. This one is for free, as opposed to "The South Park 5th Anniversary Special."
- August 22, 2002 - The South Park Digest is still around, but is just announcements, some blurbs about posts on the message board over at Comedy Central, and questionable ads. And now, an update on the Segway and the still-mysterious IT. I'm of the opinion that Ginger the Human Transporter matches Fred the walking wheelchair, and IT could no longer be called Ginger.
- Hello again, this is Spliff. I spoke with you last November about a South Park Episode named "The Ginger Project" which later got changed to "The Entity." Well apparently evidence is starting to show that the Segway Human Transporter (scooter) was never really Ginger/IT at all but rather another project. MSNBC picked up on the story: http://www.msnbc.com/news/796285.asp. However you can find the full argument here: http://www.ginger-chat.com/#newsitem1029121561,92057.
- Thought you might be interested still.
- August 24, 2002 - Mark Earnshaw came out with the SP4U newsletter last year. Now Kyle, an SP fan, comes out with his own South Park For You Web site. Check it.
- August 27, 2002 - South Park Smart Guy has a few blurbs from Maxim's Blender magazine - in the "Top 50 Greatest Musical Movie Moments," "Uncle Fucka" comes in at #19, while the theme from Shaft comes in at #30 (check the blurb with Chef). So I looked around and found this, "The Filthiest Lyrics of All Time!" from the April/May 2002 edition:
7. Terrance and Phillip, Uncle Fucka
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut Original Soundtrack, 1999
THE DIRT The South Park movie's obscenity-filled howler, complete with fart duet
FILTHIEST BIT Youre an uncle fucka, yes it's true/Nobody fucks uncles quite like you
OUR EXPERT SAYS It's probably not good for kids to be listening to fuck-your-sister-type albums, Tucker Carlson, of CNN's Crossfire, argues. Kids are already vulgar, so there's not a lot of reason to reinforce that. It's like giving malt liquor to an alcoholic.
BLENDER'S CLEAN VERSION You're Uncle Walt, yes it's true/Cryogenically frozen, turning blue
- Breayle reports that an Emmy crew is filming clips with Matt Stone as I type this for their Creative Arts nomination at the Emmys. Who else finds it ironic that the Emmys are mentioned in "Osama bin Laden Has Farty Pants," the ep nominated for the Emmys? :)
- August 29, 2002 - Have a look at the latest Cartman caper right here (look at "Inside the RIAA")! That pic brought to you by the ladies at DTISFU! Congrats to the person(s) who hacked that site in order to put that up! :D Needless to say, the RIAA was down at the time this was posted, could be up again by the time you read this. :) DTISFU has links to articles about the hacking, and in those articles is a link to a mirror site containing the defaced front page.
- September 2, 2002 - Have a good Labor Day, y'all! Now, though Labor day is the unofficial end of summer, it seems to have become the unofficial beginning of the holiday season as well. Already you can find Halloween and Christmas items on sale. Today also marks the opening of Los Angeles' new cathedral. And for all you Orgazmo fans, the OrgazmoDVD message board is up. It's a backup, though, as all posts between late May and yesterday are gone. xxxjay over at the South Park X message board says that he ran into Dian Bachar over the summer (he doesn't remember the name, heh), and that after conversing at some length with Bachar, learned that after Season 6 ends in December, that'll be it for the show. If Kenny is to return, it'll have to be in the last episode at the latest. But then, this info was gleaned after some beers and a few shots of liquor, so all that could be the alcohol talking. Again, as with Bill Gates' posts, we'll see.
- September 3, 2002, 1 a.m. - Apple's Project Marklar - a project about the future of Apple OS X running on x86 architecture normally found in PC's. LooseChanj posted this article at alt.tv.southpark. The Marklar first appeared on South Park in November 1999. The project had already started by then. :)
- September 4, 2002, 1 a.m. - Turns out the three episodes shown were personal favorites. Before I get to that, lemme note that Matt and Trey hosted a party for themselves - no one else came. :) Anywho, on to favorite eps:
- Trey Parker - It Hits The Fan
- Matt Stone - Cripple Fight
- Steve, a friend - Jewbilee
- September 5, 2002, 2 p.m. - All Webmasters take note: if you're offering episodes for download (you know who you are ;)), remove them now. Comedy Central has begun sending out cease and desist letters once more, and given how soon the show may end, one last time, to those sites that have eps on board. The Planearium is the first to get one. Make your time!
- September 9, 2002, 11 p.m. - Orgazmo DVD is up and running! Go and see the site! Browse its options! Enjoy some ass! Check out the Orgazmo Special Edition page! :D
- September 12, 2002 - Let's Roll! Back to business: on Tuesday I saw Halloween items on sale at Aahs! Among the hats being sold are Kenny hoods, so if you wanna walk around feeling like Kenny, get the hood. :) MNT.com has some news on South Park, the movie, and the show. The movie is showing as part of the "Its Forbidden to Forbid" film festival in two theaters in Beirut, Lebanon. The show itself is being passed up by fall premieres - hopefully, South Park will retake the ratings crown on November 6. And if you're gonna check out Bowling for Columbine next month, watch for the three-minute SP-style animation that's part of the movie. :) More info at www.mattntrey.com.
- September 13, 2002, 10 a.m. - After reading the articles on Bowling for Columbine and learning that the SP-style animation will be a three minute history of the US, I wonder if Matt and Trey reworked Trey's "American History" or if Trey submitted the original short to the movie (since it's SP-style, which casts doubt that it's a South Park creation, and "American History" is pre-SP)? Matt is listed among the cast members for the film, which makes sense, as he went to high school in Littleton, CO., where Columbine High is located.
- September 15, 2002 - This year's winner for Outstanding Animated Program (For Programming Less Than One Hour) is Futurama Roswell That Ends Well. BOOOOOOOO! :(
- September 17, 2002, 4:15 a.m. - Last Halloween Beefcake.com closed its doors after four and a half years. This month Sweeet.com will close its door after a run just as long. Beefcake closed down after six months of troubles and more demands placed on Elvis' time. For Sweeet the case is more demands placed on Juz' time. He hasn't been around OrgazmoDVD much either, so you know he's pretty busy these days. Here's the news straight from Sweeet:
- I'm sure a lot of you have been expecting it, and I'm sure there's a lot of people who have been wanting it - but I've finally decided that it's time for Sweeet to end it's run.
- It's been over 4 years (creeping up on 5) of hard work - and I've met a lot of people over this period (Some great friends now) - but it's now come to the point where I can't dedicate any time to the site, and I've lost that "spark" that I did have (as is obvious by the lack of updates recently).
- So this will mean I will shut down Sweeet.com. This will also mean shutting down esweeet.com (email), and gotimmygo.com.
- I might end up reusing the sweeet.com domain name for a personal site (not decided yet) or something - but it won't be SP related.
- Oh, and to the few people I still owe a picture or 2 to, I'll get them completed as soon as I get into my new house.
- If there are any pics there you want, go get them now. With GTG leaving the scene, I can say that the only thing I miss about being there is Aurora's art, which I haven't seen since February.
- Since the beginning of season 6 I have linked to the South Park page of "Jump the Shark" which tracks fans' opinions about the show's turn to lameness. Now it seems that it was South Park that really got the site off the ground. Read about it here: Fin Tuning, from Rocky Mountain News. (Mr. Garrison was reading from that paper in "Mecha-Streisand")